Sunday, November 30, 2008

Ten things I want to teach my daughters




















Ten things I want to teach my daughters:


1. Don't let other people decide your future for you. Your dad and I are included in this list of "other people". I want what's best for you, but you have to decide what's best.

2. Beware of any group, political party, religion, or person who claim to have all the answers or to know the "true" way. No one has all the answers, and the is no one, true way. People who make claims of having special knowledge will only lead you into trouble if you let it.

3. Love your sister. You will have ups and downs throughout your lives, but if you let your sister be your best friend, then no matter what happens, you'll have someone to lean on.

4. Learn about the world. School will give you limited information, with most of it slanted a certain way. Learn as much as you can about other cultures and beliefs so that you can better understand both the world and yourself.

5. There are very few situations you'll encounter in life that can't be made more bearable by a Dave Matthews song.

6. Read everything you can.

7. I'm always proud of you, even when you screw up (those are just your actions, YOU are not a screw up).

8. Don't let people boss you around, but don't boss others.

9. There's nothing you can't tell me or your father.

10. Nothing I'll ever accomplish will be more important or more significant than being your mom. You'll feel the same way when you have kids ... after you turn 20 and I let you start dating.

No comments: